The Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener is a knife sharpener from National Presto Industries, Inc. This newest entry into the electric knife sharpener market features a sleek, modern design that will fit well into most kitchen décor styles.
The product comes with a black and silver motif that looks right at home in a modern, stainless-steel style kitchen; however, the rounded shape and soft edges allow it to blend in perfectly with more traditional style kitchens.
It measures 8-1/4 by 5-3/4 by 4 inches and weighs approximately 3 pounds. Three suction cups on the bottom provide good stability during operation. This electric sharpener uses a two-stage system to ensure knives come out sharp every time. The unit runs on 120v 60 watt power. The Presto 08800 ranges in price from $28-$35 making it very economical.
Below, please enjoy our interactive table that compares the 08800 to other popular sharpeners available, such as the 08810, the Trizon XV and more.
$ = $1 – $30 | $$ = $31 – $60 | $$$ = $61 and above
|Presto 08800 EverSharp||Electric||$|
|Presto 08810 Sharpener||Electric||$$|
|Chef's Choice 130||Electric||$$$|
|Chef's Choice 220 Hybrid||Electric||$$|
|Chef'sChoice 15 Trizor XV||Electric||$$$|
Operating a Presto Eversharp
The Eversharp sharpener uses a two-stage system to ensure knives receive an even, sharp edge each time. The first stage is the rough stage, used to grind down and sharpen knives. The second stage is the fine stage, which is used to hone the blade to a very nice, sharp edge. Each stage is clearly marked with a 1 denoting stage one and a 2 of course denoting stage two. Each stage also has 2 slots, one for each side of the knife to provide consistent sharpening each time.
Using the Eversharp by Presto is a breeze once you have the technique down, though it can seem tricky at first. The key is to maintain light, even pressure throughout the process without pressing down on the blade, as this will cause the motors to stop. Draw the blade back through the slot and over the motors three times per side and per stage. The total operation usually takes less than two minutes, and leaves a keen edge suitable for most kitchen and home tasks.
Below, please take a moment to view some of the best-selling knife sharpeners currently for sale on Amazon:
- SunrisePro Knife Sharpener
- Presto 08800 EverSharp
- Work Sharp WSKTS-KO (Ken Onion Edition)
- Wüsthof Hand-Held Sharpener
- Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect
This Presto knife sharpener performs very well with most kitchen knives, as well. The edge delivered is between 20-28 degrees, which is suitable for most home kitchen use.
The larger the angle, the longer the knife maintains an edge. A common mistake made by beginners using manual methods of sharpening a blade is to use too small an angle, making the edge brittle and weak which will cause the knife to dull quickly. This mistake is avoided completely by using this time saving appliance. Not only will it save time over manual methods, but once a blade is sharpened it will stay sharper for a longer period of time.
Another nice feature of this unit is how quiet it is. The motors are quiet, and lack the grinding or loud whirring noises of older models.
While the knife sharpener does a great job with typical kitchen knives found in most homes, it does have some weaknesses. It doesn’t handle hard steel very well, and it may take several attempts to get a satisfactory edge on a hunting knife or machete. And due to the high bevel angle, it is really not suited to sharpening a fillet knife for cleaning fish. These short-comings can be overcome by using the Presto Eversharp for putting an initial edge on these specialty knives, and then use a sharpening stone to hone the edge further.
Questions and Answers for the Presto 08800
In this section, you will be able to read some of the most popular questions asked about the Presto 08800, and we’ll provide you with our answers as best we can.
- Will this EverSharp sharpener sharpen meat cleavers properly? Answer: It will fit some meat cleavers, but it may be a tight fit. If the cleaver’s blade gets thicker towards the back, it might not fit. But it’s also worth noting that the slots on this sharpener are pretty big.
- Does this sharpener work on fillet knives? Answer: This is sort of tough to answer. We mentioned that this sharpener are not really designed for fillet knives. With that said, we should probably add this: This will likely do okay with your fillet knives, provided it’s a straight edge knife and not a serrated blade.
- How does the 08800 do when it comes to sharpening small blades? Answer: Very well. This sharpener can sharper blades sized 2 inches 12 inches and do a terrific job.
- Does this sharpener sharpen scissors? Answer: This sharpener, as described by the manual, is designed for knives. Therefore, it’s not wise to attempt to sharpen scissors with this product. You may just be better off buying new scissors.
- Does it use batteries? Answer: No, it comes with a cord and plugs into the wall.
- Does this work with 220 volts? Answer: No, it’s designed for 120 v.
- Does the Presto 08800 work on pocket knives? Answer: Yes, it does. Depending on the width of your blade or handle, it’s possible that it may not sharpen all the way to the base of your blade. But yes, it should indeed sharpen pocket knives.
Presto 08800 vs Chef’s Chice 210
The Presto 08800 compares favorably with other units in its class. The closest competitor is the Chef’s Choice 210 Hybrid.
The 210 is both an automatic and manual sharpener, first the powered side sharpens and grinds the blade, while the manual side is used for honing the blade to the desired sharpness. In the 08800, both operations are automated.
Both units are priced similarly, although if you were willing to spend a little bit more money, the Chef’s Choice 220 is a fantastic knife sharpener for the money.
And both units are good for normal household tasks, though the 08800 is a bit faster than the 210.
Also the Chef’s Choice has problems not sharpening the blade close to the handle, something not normally seen in the Presto 08800.
Presto 08800 vs Presto 08810
One step up from the 08800 is the Presto 08810. The primary difference between these two is that the 08810 is a three stage sharpener, whereas the 08800 is a two stage sharpener.
The 08810 is also a bit more expensive, approximately $15-$20 more on average. For everyday home kitchen use, the 08800 is more than sufficient. The 08810 is a better choice for institutional use or for use with very high-end cutlery, but not necessary for the typical home kitchen tasks.
Below, you can watch someone using the 08810, so you can get an idea of how the 08800’s big brother stacks up.
Presto 08800 Manual PDF
And whether you need to download the manual for the Presto 08800 because you misplaced or lost your copy, or you’re thinking about buying this sharpener and just want to get an idea of what the instruction manual says before your purchase, you can view the sharpener’s manual by clicking here:
The manual is particularly great, because it doesn’t just show you how to use the knife, but answers a lot of common questions users have. For instance, you’ll learn how to deal with seeing sparks when sharpening your knife when using the sharpener, or how you can go about sharpening non-electric serrated knives.
The manual will also show you how to care for your knife sharpener (do note, never use abrasives, and don’t submerge your Presto sharpener in water or other liquids. Also, be sure to not use any kind of lubrication with this sharpener, either. Instead, simply clean with a damp cloth). You’ll also find very specific details pertaining to the Presto 08800 warranty, as well.
A quick summary of the Eversharp Knife sharpener from Presto:
- Durable, lightweight, and sleek, its modern design manages to fit into more traditional kitchen motifs
- When used properly, and for its intended purpose, it does an excellent job sharpening household kitchen knives
- Easy to use
- Price is from $28-$35
- For its price, it is the best sharpener that’s electric in its class
- Not effective for professional grade cutlery
- Some re-touching by hand of specialty knives, for example fillet or hunting knives is advisable, though it will save time on very dull knives by putting the initial bevel back on the blade
Overall, it is a great value for the price, and will handle most household sharpening needs for the majority of people that purchase it.
To find out more sharpeners such as this that can sharpen a pocket knife, be sure to head back to our homepage.
- If you enjoyed this article, please join the Reliable Knife Facebook page!